by Gina Abegg, A.M.S., Co-Director at Parker Montessori
- Collect food for food shelf (more than just at Thanksgiving).
- Create outreach programs for people in difficulty, such as homeless, elderly.
- Recognize birthdays, illnesses, weddings, etc. with art projects such as decorating aprons, bags, banners.
- Make baby quilts or other gift for new arrivals.
- Make food for someone in need, having an operation or new baby, poss. coordinate with other families by calendar.
- Connect to elderly shelter, visits, singing, gifts.
- Adopt individual grandparents at senior center.
- Volunteer for a food kitchen like V.O.A..
- Share food with friends and family .
- Crush cracker scraps for birds.
- Give back rubs (have rollers in basket).
- Make decorations for all holidays and special occasions, decorate table cloths, arrange flowers, set tables, make place cards.
- Make presents, cards (supplies always out).
- Crush cans
Charitable Activities for Different Seasons
- Put out jack-o-lantern with seeds in the garden for little creatures to live in through the winter.
- Rake leaves for elderly on block.
- Send home boxes for UNICEF collection, count money (October).
- Rake leaves in yard into pumpkin bags in October, stomp on, put on garden in November.
- Harvest sunflower seeds in fall and tweeze for birds.
- Bring in outgrown clothing. Make pretend friends with newspaper and pumpkin heads for Halloween. Then donate to homeless shelter.
- Prepare group meals or food gifts for holidays.
- Collect mittens for homeless shelter children.
- Coordinate with community adopt a family for holiday gifts
- Make valentines for elderly, family, friends who have moved, volunteers, etc.
- Feed birds with pine cone, rice cake, cookie cutter toast feeders. Use sesame butter if peanut free.
Recycle and buy plants with profits.
Care for gardens.
Clean up trash around neighborhood.
Set out ribbons, yarn, and cotton for birds to make nests.
Raise butterflies and release.
Share harvest from garden with neighbors.
Keep bird feeders and squirrel feeders full.
Set up water sources for animals.
Compost for garden.
Wash a friend’s feet.
Work the compost, feed the worms
Recruit members of the Lost Worms and Ladybug club to relocate creatures found on sidewalks into gardens.
Arrange flowers from family gardens, donations.
Plant bushes with berries for birds and butterfly attracting plants.